Monday, March 15, 2021

Prayer Letter - December 2020

 I have found myself throughout this year, groping for anything that feels normal. Besides the loyalty of my family and friends, what has helped to keep me focused is the fact that God never changes, and He is in control of everything from COVID-19, to elections. He has truly been my Fortress.


But I can’t deny, so many things have been “out of whack,” as my Daddy used to say. And this year’s annual Ladies’ Christmas Banquet was one of those. Instead of having our Banquet at a local hotel Banquet Room, and being served by waiters in white coats, this year’s Banquet was held in our church auditorium, and about 15 young men, some of whom sang in our men’s ensemble, were our waiters. They did a super job, singing and serving.


And the ladies in the church cooked the delicious meal. On the night of November 20, the night before the Banquet, we celebrated our first Ladies’ Conference, with sessions the next morning until noon. Close to one hundred ladies attended. Our theme was “who healeth all thy diseases;” in keeping with the 2020 virus from which many have suffered this year.  So for that reason, our special guests for the Banquet were ladies in the medical profession. There were approximately 15 of those ladies who attended, and a nurse was saved when Pastor Joel Herrera gave the invitation. 


Our Church has amazingly not shut its doors this year. At the beginning of the pandemic, our attendance had to be limited. But now, our services have been attended very well; of course, maintaining social distancing, and using face masks, and gel at the entrance. Souls have been saved during door knocking, and in the regular services, and  Pastor Albino continues to baptize almost every Sunday. Even as I write, plans are under way for our 7th annual Youth Conference, December 17-29. We are expecting around forty out of town young people to attend. There will be games, three good meals a day prepared by our ladies, lots of good preaching, and on Saturday, the 19th  the young people will go soul winning. 


It was my privilege, to be able to speak to in a virtual Ladies’ Conference October 9 and 10, hosted by Mrs. Brenda Booth. I was in Pastor Franklin Booth’s church in Panama five years ago. 


And again, one of my faithful supporting churches, Martinsville Baptist Tabernacle, hosted a virtual Ladies’ Tea on November 3. Mrs. Debbie Parker asked me to join them and talk about our upcoming Ladies’ Banquet. To my surprise, these ladies meet every November, and pray for our Banquet. Is it any wonder souls have been saved every year? Thank you.


Sixty years ago, November 15, my parents, Dr. and Mrs. L.H. Ashcraft, my three little brothers, and I crossed the USA border into México as missionaries. And my life has never been the same. Although I didn’t surrender to be a missionary until seven years later, the church in Ixtapa (a work started by my son in law, Ulises Martínez) held a thanksgiving banquet in my honor on November 22, celebrating my sixty years on the mission field. To God be all the Glory!


Have a blessed Christmas. May we all remember to honor Him, Whose birth we are celebrating.


Mrs. Billie Sloan

Nahum 1:7


No comments: