Monday, October 21, 2019

Prayer Letter - October 2019

Maybe it’s my age, but I realize more and more how urgent is my responsibility to get the Gospel to everyone; and how important my ministries are. Especially, if you work with children, never take for granted your ministry. The morning of August 16, I received an urgent message from our pastor’s wife: “Please go to the church as soon as you can. Maryorli passed away early this morning, and we want everyone there to meet the family.”  You would have to know the customs here to understand the urgency of her message. Pastor Albino was a funeral director before becoming pastor of our church. So he frequently gets requests to help with funerals. He was going to Maryorli’s house to pick up her body, and the family, and drive them to the church, where a service would be held in her memory.  After Pastor Albino preached a Salvation message, several people were saved. 

Who was Maryorli? She was a 9 year-old girl who was saved in our July 22-26 Vacation Bible School. Three weeks later, she was in Heaven. I don’t have to describe the devastation of her parents. Can anything be more heartbreaking than the death of a little child? But from her father’s testimony, she had planned to be baptized. He said she would line up her little cousins in their patio after Bible School, and teach them the lessons she had learned. Then she very dramatically would give the invitation with, “If you don’t get saved, you’re going to hell. I’m saved, and I’m going to Heaven when I die.”

And she surely did! Praise the Lord for the army of men and women and young people who invested in Maryorli’s life, through the workers on the bus route on which she rode; through the Vacation Bible School workers, and for the lady who led her to the Lord when I gave the invitation that day. Your labor is not in vain!

My soul winning partner and I recently knocked doors in a neighborhood near the church. The lady who came to the door was the maid. The lady of the house was gone. So I witnessed to her. She said she was working, but was interested in getting saved. I respected the fact that we were speaking to her on time that she was being paid to do housework.  She promised me to read the tract I left for her, and after work, she would accept the Lord. I told her, “I’ll be back next week, and see if you kept your promise.” When we returned the next week, the lady of the house had just driven off, and Hilda was reluctant to open the door. I plan to return tomorrow, and as often as needed to make sure she is saved.  

Excitement is at an all-time high around here, as we are only a few weeks away from November 22, and our 21st Annual Ladies’ Christmas Banquet. As always, finances are always a big issue. But I told the ladies last week: “This Banquet is an adventure to me. I can’t wait to see how God is going to provide the money for every area.” He always does, and I know He will do it again this year. Everything invested in this event…money, time, prayers, and work…are worth it all. We see ladies saved every year, whom I will see in Heaven someday…

…just like I’ll see Maryorli!

Your friend,
Billie Sloan
Nahum 1:7


No comments: