Monday, October 21, 2019

Prayer Letter - August 2019

My travels for the year have ended. And although I love my home here in Chiapas more than any other place in the world, I’ll have to say that I made some pretty special memories during my travels from February until July. 

Even though I’m not always here to be involved in all the activities of the church, Pastor Albino continues to lead the work, including people being saved and baptized, and new ministries started, and new bus routes begun. 

On June 7, I arrived in Jackson, MS, and although my luggage didn’t until the next night, it was wonderful to be greeted by my son in law, Jason and daughter, Sarah and their 6 children. It was so special getting to join them as they visited several churches, raising support to return to Mexico as missionaries.  Please pray that they will soon have their support raised, and be back on the field. During my visit, Sarah invited me to speak to a group of Hispanic ladies with whom she has worked during the last few years.

As tradition has it, for 12 years I have been honored to be a part of the Hispanic Family Conference in Bartlett, IL, with Pastor Elmer Fernández the week of June 17-21. I taught six different ladies’ sessions, and as always, was challenged by the teaching and preaching.

My last trip of the year was a very unique one: I flew to Monterrey with my daughter, Anna, to attend the wedding of my brother, Tommy Ashcraft, and Emily Knight. My sister in law, Brenda, passed away in April of last year, and the Lord has provided a wonderful helpmeet for my brother, and a very sweet sister in law for me. Emily has lived at Mount Hebron for several years, and is very involved in the ministry. I am happy to have her as part of our family.

I enjoy going soul winning with our ladies, especially when someone is saved…like my neighbor just around the corner. Several years ago, I took a new convert with me, and we went downtown soul winning. I won an older lady who was a shop keeper to the Lord. Later I asked Dali what she thought about witnessing. I could tell she wasn’t too happy. She said, “You have to be very bold.”

That was five years ago. Yesterday afternoon, I ask her to give her testimony at our ladies’ Bible Study. She told about winning her husband’s 90 year-old grandfather, and 89 year-old grandmother to the Lord. She brought a friend with her, who is unsaved. Right there in front of everyone, she witnessed to her, and urged her not to put off Salvation. And she thought I was being bold! Dali is a cancer survivor. Two things her plight accomplished: she appreciates the small things in life; and she has become very bold in her witnessing. I thank the Lord for Dali.

My daughter, Anna, recently won a 9 year-old boy, Kevin to the Lord, as they were returning from Music Camp. He lives in her town, and he was ready to be saved. 

One of the most fun times of the year for me is our Vacation Bible School, during the month of July. The children keep me feeling young, as I teach, and play my accordion for the songs. This year, the church took care of organizing, financing, and providing lunch each day for the children. We had a high attendance of 247, and 30 professions of faith, including several mothers who attended with their children. Sunday there were close to 300 in attendance for the closing ceremony. 

Sad, but thankful to the Lord, I told my daughter, Elizabeth, and her husband, Ulises, and their four children in San Francisco, CA, good bye over the phone from my home here Tuesday night, as they boarded a plane that would take them to Tel Aviv, Israel. After a 15-hour non-stop flight, they landed safely Wednesday afternoon. The fact that they are so, so happy to be “back home” gives me joy. Although it doesn’t keep me from missing them, I’d rather my children be on another continent, in the center of God’s will, than an hour from here, and out of His will. May God give them  many souls for their labors.

And may He bless you with fruit for yours, as we serve Him.

Your friend,
Billie Sloan
Nahum 1:7

No comments: