Sunday, December 30, 2018

Prayer Letter - August 2018

You never know when surprise blessings will show up! Like getting to speak to a young Hispanic druggie about the Lord in Mississippi while out soul winning with my son in law, Jason Knabb’s church; and having Marcos listen to me; or getting to attend a concert at the end of a 4-day Music camp, and hear five of my grandchildren perform. 

 And then, there are the ones we pray for: like “Father, help me to be a blessing to the ladies where I will be speaking.” This is the prayer I pray everywhere I am invited to speak. Tradition, mainly helps me to look forward to the Spanish Family Conference in Bartlett, IL, near Chicago, where Pastor Elmer Fernández has invited me for the past eleven years. I believe the Lord answered my prayer during the 8 different times I spoke, including a Sunday school class of single Moms. But really, I am the one who is always challenged and blessed. The special thing about this conference, was getting to spend those days with my brother, Tommy Ashcraft. It is so rare that our paths cross during our travels, so this was a special surprise blessing. 

Our monthly Prayer Breakfasts continue to be well attended, mainly by lost ladies, but also by nearby pastors’ and missionaries’ wives, and ladies from our church. On July 25, when I gave the invitation, a nurse who was invited by one of the ladies in our church, was saved. 

If you have ever heard of Bro. Jimmy Adams, I’m sure you will agree with me that he has a passion for lost souls. He was a blessing to our church here July 6- 7, as he conducted a weekend Personal Evangelism Conference. Having lived on the mission field in México, and traveling to many Hispanic countries, he is fluent in Spanish. I, for one, was challenged to be more faithful in witnessing. 

 Two days after our conference was one of the highlights of the year in my ministry: our Vacation Bible School. I certainly do not do half the work that is required; but I do get to lead the opening exercise, sing with the children while playing my accordion; and then teach a lesson, and give the invitation. After crafts and games, the children get another opportunity to be saved since we always end each day with a Gospel message preached by the Pastor, or one of the men in the church. This year I am delighted to report that we had 12 children over the age of 7 to come forward for Salvation, and twenty-six little ones who didn’t quite understand. However the teachers spoke with them, also. 

At our last monthly visit to the Nursing Home, two elderly people, and a nurse on the staff were saved. Another surprise blessing! 

A blessing? As a mother, not entirely. But for my children, Ulises and Elizabeth Martínez, and their 3 children, definitely! A dream came true for them on July 25, as they landed in Tel Aviv, Israel to serve the Lord as His Ambassadors. I miss those surprise visits from their little village, just an hour away from here. But I’m surprisingly being blessed by knowing that “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth,” and that they are fulfilling God’s will. 

I hope God has many surprise blessings in store for you these next two months. 

Your friend,
Billie Sloan
Nahum 1:7

No comments: