Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Prayer Letter - October 2017

Do you ever wish you knew what the future holds for you…what lies around the corner of your life? Sometimes I think God is Merciful to keep certain things from us. I never dreamed the last time I wrote my prayer letter, what would happen September 7, a few minutes before midnight. I was awakened by my bed shaking, my house rattling, things falling and breaking. Thankfully my bedroom is close to my back door, and I was able to get out of bed, and literally hang onto my door to keep from falling. Like all tragedies, it seemed like it would never, ever end. The earthquake that shook San Cristóbal measured 8.4, and lasted for two minutes. A young man from our church and his sister, who live a few blocks away came and stayed with me until 4:00 the next morning, as we waited for aftershocks. Three people lost their lives, two of them close to our Pastor’s house. He was up all night trying to comfort those who were suffering.  I’m sure, though, that you’ve already read about this, or seen it on the news, as well as the next one that rocked Mexico City 12 days later, and claimed many lives.

And I’m sure, especially if you’re in ministry, that it doesn’t surprise you to hear that my living room was full of ladies for prayer meeting the next night, and in my Sunday school class the following Sunday, 2 ladies came forward for assurance of Salvation when I gave the invitation. The church was full that morning. I told one of the ladies, who hasn’t missed a church activity since then, not to let it wear off. “Stay faithful to the Lord, even after the horror of what happened that night settles back into normal.”


I am delighted to report that I got to win a sweet Indian lady to the Lord on Soul Winning.  Please pray for Andrea. Two of my precious grandchildren were saved recently: Elisa called me August 22 all the way from Mississippi, where her parents, Jason and Sarah are raising up a work among Hispanics. “Mimi, I got saved last night.” And a video that my daughter in law, Jolene, sent me of Micah on September 19: “Mimi, I got saved Sunday night.” “Thank you, Lord, for Jason and Sarah, and for David and Jolene…and for the Salvation of Elisa Faith and Micah James.” I have 40 grandchildren, 4 are in Heaven. Of the 36 living, 30 are saved. The other 6, I’m sure, will one day be saved when they are old enough to understand.

Our Prayer Breakfasts are being well attended every month. We recently had 10 ladies from the police force to attend, and hear a Bible lesson, and the Plan of Salvation. And a lady from our church won a gentleman to the Lord at our recent monthly visit to the Nursing Home.

Please, please take seriously the Prayer Request List for our Annual Ladies’ Christmas Banquet which I am enclosing. This event, as well as any endeavor to see souls saved, must be bathed in prayer. Thank you for yours.

Last night we closed out a weekend Conference. There were about 200 in attendance and last night at the closing invitation, 12 young people came forward surrendering to full time service.

Isn’t it just the most wonderful thing to get to serve the Lord? Thank you for being part of this amazing work.

Your friend,
Billie Sloan
Nahum 1:7

No comments: