Friday, September 2, 2016

Prayer Letter - August 2016

Good morning! One of the rewards of ministering to children is seeing them after they become adults.  Since my last letter, there have been 3 ladies saved in my Sunday school class. One of those ladies rode the van years ago when our family had a route in a nearby area of town.

This year in our Vacation Bible School I taught the story of Daniel.  Every morning the children also heard preaching from different men in our church. Seven precious children were saved!

The Spanish Family Conference near Chicago has become almost like a family tradition for me. This June was my 10th annual Conference, where I was privileged to teach 7 times to different ladies’ sessions. I go to be a blessing, but I am the one who always leaves challenged by the wonderful preaching and fellowship.

From Chicago, I flew to Chattanooga, TN. Pastor Virgil Smith and his wife, Karen met me at the airport. We had never met, but by the time we reached my apartment at the Gartenhaus Training Center, which is part of the facilities of the Hamilton Baptist Church, I felt like we had known each other for years. Thank you, precious friends, for over 20 years of faithful support; for the honor of teaching the ladies’ Sunday school class; and for inviting me to share my testimony in the morning and evening services.

My visit there was somewhat over-shadowed by the news of the deaths of two people very precious to my life:  my husband’s former pastor, Bro. W.N. (Jimbo)  Bond went to be with the Lord on June 24; and two days later, my husband’s cousin, a pastor’s wife, joined him. Heaven just keeps getting sweeter.

On July 25, I was invited to speak at a farewell dinner for a military wife, whose husband recently retired after serving almost 33 years as captain in the Mexican army. They have since moved to Mexico City. Since he and another gentleman were present, I simply gave my Salvation testimony, using lots of Scriptures. He promised me that they will be attending our Banquet on November 18. We will be honoring him that evening.

At our monthly visit to the Nursing Home on the 30th of June, we walked in, we noticed a casket in an adjoining room. The former mayor’s wife, who is now the director of the home, said he was an unknown man whom they found on the street a couple of years ago. He never regained consciousness.  “No family member has ever come to visit him, or look for him. We don’t even know his name, so we named him Juan.” The lady who gave the devotional taught through tears, and she said, “God knew his name and where he was.” My greatest sorrow was that probably no one ever told Him of Jesus.

That is the purpose of our 18th Annual Ladies’ Christmas Banquet, November 18. Many of these well to do ladies of prominence who will be attending have never heard a Gospel message, or the plan of Salvation. Please take seriously the Prayer Request List I am sending.

And please pray that I will seize every opportunity to speak to others about the Lord. That’s my mission on this earth.

Your friend,
Billie Sloan
Nahum 1:7

No comments: