Thursday, August 29, 2013

Prayer Letter - August 2013

Greetings from the little town of Ixtapa, where my husband and I lived back in the 70’s for five years. It’s interesting how life makes a full circle: after 35 years, here I am again, but this time visiting the work of my son in law, Ulises Martínez, and my daughter Elizabeth. The only thing I’ve observed that is keeping this work from growing more is the lack of funds. I’m investing money into this work, and I feel like I’m a part of it, although I live an hour up the mountain from here. My investment just keeps drawing more and more “dividends” in souls being saved, and men being trained by Ulises. Daily, almost hourly, he disciples them in everything from constructing a children’s home, to preaching in the courtyard of hospitals, to conducting services at the wake of a young man who was killed two days ago. (Five adults were saved when the invitation was given.) He meets with them at the church every morning for 5:00 prayer meeting, and then teaches them doctrine and homiletics. He is truly building men of character.

But I suppose you would like to know what his mother in law has been doing for the Lord. The month of June ended my travels for the year, as I taught seven ladies’ sessions in the Family Conference of Fires of Evangelism in Bartlett, Indiana, Pastor Elmer Fernández. I had such a good time with my 15 year-old granddaughter, Karla. It was her first time to fly, and we experienced everything from canceled flights, feeling a strong tremor in the middle of the night from our hotel in Mexico City (earthquake city), and almost turning over in a storm right before landing in Tuxtla. But we truly made unforgettable memories, and she was a blessing beyond words to her Mimi.

The week we returned, I got to go to Tuxtla, the capitol of our state, and was honored to teach a group of dear ladies in the Leadership Conference of missionary Dan Morris. He and his wife, Debbie, are friends of many, many years. Their beautiful daughter, Christina, is a vital part of their ministry now, as she is serving alongside her parents.

Our prayer breakfasts in June and July were well attended, with new ladies in each meeting. What a blessing to have my daughter, Elizabeth, as our guest speaker in July.

Last weekend, I attended the first anniversary service of the church in Nueva Maravilla across town, that Pastor Rodolfo, and his son, Wilber started. When the invitation was given, I was able to lead Paty, a 12 year-old girl to the Lord. It truly is a “Maravilla” (marvel) what the Lord has done. They have several adults, and a fine group of young people who form a choir. During the service, Wilber had me stand with another lady. He said, “I want you ladies to see the result of your labors tonight.” He reminded Micaela and me that this church actually began from the children’s ministry we helped to start. Micaela donated benches, and would bring treats for the children. We had the Saturday morning classes outside under a tent, and Wilber told of the time they had to lay down boards and tiles for me to walk on, and stand on while I taught and played my accordion when it rained. You never know where the small things you do will lead! Be faithful, Sunday school teachers and Moms!

Please begin to pray for our November 22 Ladies’ Christmas Banquet. Our guest speaker this year will be Henry González. He and his wife, Tammie, who is my niece, are missionaries in the country of El Salvador.

Your friend,
Billie Sloan
Nahum 1:7

No comments: