Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Prayer Letter - August 2012


Dear Friends and family,

Greetings from the beautiful country of El Salvador, where I just finished speaking at a two-day conference upon the invitation of my niece, Tammie González. She and her husband, Henry, have a thriving work here, and I was very impressed.

I return home on August 7, and three days later, August 10, I fly to Ukraine to speak in a Single Ladies’ Conference, upon the invitation of Miss Polly Irvin. I plan to return home on August 30.

Vacation Bible School was a huge success, in that we saw 16 children, and a lady saved. I love working with children, because of their simplicity. One of the workers who dealt with the children, who raised their hand for salvation, came in before it was time to talk with them. He said, “This little boy said he can’t wait for me to talk to him. He said he needs to get saved now!” Another little 5-year old boy, whose parents are members of our church, came home from Bible School one day, and said, “I accepted Jesus as my Savior today.” His mom asked, “If I tell you something to do in a few minutes, and you disobey me, where will you go?” He said, “To Heaven, because the Bible says I have eternal life.”  “Out of the mouth of babes…”

I was honored once again this year to have attended the annual Spanish Family Conference in Pastor Elmer Fernández’ church in Bartlett, Illinois. I spoke 9 times, including teaching a ladies’ Sunday school class. I also have spoken 6 more times in different ladies’ meetings since I returned home.  On July 8 it was my joy to have led a lady doctor to the Lord, who has attended several of our ladies’ meetings. Her husband, who is also a doctor, is saved and attends our church faithfully. What a blessing to see a home complete, with both husband and wife being saved.

On June 24, my son, Philip preached his last sermon as pastor of the church here, and his brother, Tommy, officially took the pastorate. There has been time since he and Mona arrived on the field last November to have bonded with the people here. Although it was a very sad occasion, and we will miss Philip and Liz, I’m excited about all the things the Lord is already doing. Please pray for Philip and Liz, as they will be starting a new work in the state of Veracruz.

Another blessed event will take place in a few months: Andrés and Anna, my daughter, are expecting their 3rd baby…my 37th grandchild.

On July 21, I received the news that little Joshua Andrew Miller was born to Steve and Ruthie.  He is a little preemie, and weighed 4 pounds 8ounces. At this writing, he is out of the NICU, and improving. Thank the Lord for my 35th grandbaby!

Because of my trip to Ukraine, I will miss two exciting events: the dedication of the radio station, August 17, which would have been my husband’s 71st birthday; and the birth of my 36th grandbaby…Ulises and Elizabeth’s little girl due to arrive August 25. But this trip was planned before I knew about these events, so I know the Lord will give me joy as I do His will. That’s the best place to be, no matter where I am!

Your friend,
Billie Sloan
Nahum 1:7

No comments: